Wednesday, June 1, 2011

RIP Noodles

Tonight my childhood cat got put down.


I was 10 when we got Noodles. (My sister was 8 and my brother was 5). He was named after Maggie 2minute noodles that we loved to eat as kids - this is what happens when you let your kids name your cat.

He spent his first day in our house hiding behind the fridge. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of him when he was younger - we didn't have digital cameras back then.


He didn't like it so much when I brought Keera (my cat) home with me when I was 17. He was 7 years old then and thought she was annoying. But they got along fine for the 3 years they lived together.

He loved to sit on our knees and purr and cuddle. He would growl at you if you moved him off you knee and got up. You used to feel guilty if you needed to visit the loo and he was asleep on your knee.
Here he is in my dads glasses.

My dad had a thing for doing stupid things with noodles - like wearing him as a hat - noodles put up with a lot of crap from my dad. Dad used to vacuum him with the vacuum cleaner and spin him around in the air.

He had been sick for the last two years. Many visits to the vet did not yield a diagnosis. He stopped cleaning himself and had to have baths. He lost a lot of weight and threw up all his food (especially at the end).

He still had lots of energy and this morning managed to catch a bird for mum and dad before they took him to the vet - he liked to do that - catch things present them dead to dad and then walk off - he wouldn't even eat them, just show us he could still do it.

Even though I didn't live at home for the last three years I still saw him all the time (mum and dad only live 15 minutes away). I'm crying as I write this. He was my childhood cat and it is sad but he was in pain and didn't deserve to suffer.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Lots of Love
Lisa

15 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. I'm sorry for your loss. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, I am so sorry about Noodles. What a beautiful tribute :)
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you lots of hugs, it's hard to loose a pet :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* I know how horrible it is to lose a childhood pet. I'm very attached to my cats - they're family and it hurts when they suffer. I'm sorry to hear Noodles had to be put down. I'm sending you my love and support. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. :( That's so sad lisa, I hope you and your family will be ok and remember all the fun you had with noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. :( Noodles sounds like he was totally loved and adored, and that's such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope it helps a bit to share here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your hugs everyone! I sent this post to my dad and made him cry again too. The whole family is sad. I know this doesn't compare to losing a human family member and I am grateful I haven't had to experience that. xoxoxoxox to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so so sorry <3 Thank you for making this post about his life, I enjoyed reading it and found myself getting choked up. We had the same cat from before I was born until I was 17 and the quality of life was similar to what you described towards the end. It's so devastating, but they're not suffering anymore and they had fun long lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH no. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I hope that you can find comfort in the happy memories as time goes by. He had a wonderful life with you, and is probably peeking in now and then, in between all the happy fun things in kitty heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear it love, they are always such a great member of the family and it's hard. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such sad news, but such a beautiful cat. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry! What a sweet boy, even showing off till the very end :) I just lost my childhood kitty last summer so I totally feel your pain. I still think and dream about him often because after all he brought such joy to my life. Keep your head up and remember all the joy he brought you ... like bringing you dead birdies lol *hugs

    ReplyDelete