Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Zealand Earthquake update

So for those who don't know I live in New Zealand. We are quite a small country made up of three islands. We have a population of about 4 million. I live in Wellington which is the capital and the center of the country.


Today Christchurch had a 6.3 magnitude aftershock for the first earthquake they had in September last year.

I was at work when it happened and had to wait 3 hours to find out if my brother who lives in Christchurch was OK. Luckily he is OK and is planning to leave the city for the next week.

So far 65 are confirmed dead and the city is destroyed. Our local media website is a great place to check out if you are interested/concerned www.stuff.co.nz. For a little country like ours this is a massive deal. Two out of our four TV channels are playing news all day long.

Hope all are well and my heart goes out to all my New Zealand followers at this time. xoxo

Lots of Love
Lisa

7 comments:

  1. I keep watching the news footage, and crying.... it's horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I had to turn of the TV. It's hard because our country is so small and safe you never think. Anything this bad will happen. I live in Wellington where the major fault lines are and they always said we would get the 'big one'. No one could predict it would happen in Christchurch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is with everyone in New Zealand at this moment. RIP to all those who passed away! :( And don't give up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it on the news--how awful! Our thoughts & prayers are w/you in NZ.
    April (Florida, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father is still in Christchurch and he has to wait for flying away back to the Czech Republic :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart just sank when I heard the news. I can't even imagine how devastated everyone must be down there. They were just starting to get themselves off the ground again. A dark day for NZ, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the second time that struck in the same city, my cousin is in NZ too but luckily she is in Auckland and safe.

    ReplyDelete