Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Top 10 of 2010

Happy holidays fellow nail polish addicts! Hope you all had a great Christmas and a gearing up for a great new year.

I thought I would share my top 10 polishes of 2010 with you. I have limited this to polishes released in 2010 and ones that I personally own.

(Please note that in some of the swatches below I am wearing fake nails. This is not my standard practice but is due to sever breakages in my nails from the holiday season and all the gardening I have been doing - when I say gardening I really mean weeding.)

These are in no particular order

1. Deborah Lippmann Bad Romance - This one was bought online as DL is not sold in New Zealand. It costs about NZ$40 but was worth every dollar. A black base with hexagon purple glitter and smaller regular purple glitter. Done in two coats and a great vampy polish.


2. Orly Meet me under the Mistletoe - Recently released as part of Orly's Christmas collection called 'Tis the Season. Luckily these came to New Zealand stores in time for Christmas (all our other Orly collections are 6 months behind). A great glass effect green with golden shimmer. Really pretty and my favourite of all the Christmas polishes this year.


3. BYS Down the Rabbit Hole - One of three Alice in Wonderland themed polishes released in New Zealand and Australia by BYS. These are supper affordable and easy to find in New Zealand. The smell is a bit iffy but apart from that they are great. This is a black jelly base with holographic sparkles.


4. Orly Out of this world - from the 2010 Cosmic FX collection. There was a lot of hype around this whole collection and in my opinion it didn't disappoint. It sort of kicked of the era of 'glass effect' polishes and the start of the duo-chrome phase. This is a great purple (the picture doesnt do it justice). It is hard to describe all the colours you can see in the different lights for this one, even just moving the bottle in your hands is awesome.


5. Nubar Star Sparkle - part of the 2010 Sparkle collection. Another one of my online purchases as these are not sold in New Zealand. This is an awesome silver glitter packed full of sparkle. Some silver glitters are just silver (like Zoya Luna) but this one sparkles a whole rainbow in the sun.


6. OPI Glow up already - this is from the 2010 OPI Holiday collection Burlesque. OPI's Mad as a Hatter started of the glitter craze this year, and OPI actually listened and included 6 more in this collection. My favourite of all the glitters is this one. Its a lime green colour, with a smattering of pink, blue, silver and orange glitter. These glitters are all done in 3 coats, but are a pain in the ass to take off (But worth it for their amazingness).


7. Color Club Wild at Heart - This was part of the Wild at Heart collection which was released in New Zealand for winter 2010. This was the stand out holographic of the season. A dark purple holographic polish, that only needed one/two coats.


8. OPI Let Me Entertain You - also from the OPI Burlesque collection. This was my favourite of the 6 non glitter polishes. I am still a sucker for pinks and fuchsia polishes any day. Again this is a 'glass effect' polish, but it is super pretty.



9. OPI Catch Me in Your Net/Orly Halley's Comet - How could I not include these two in the list. Catch me in your net came first and was released as part of OPIs Summer Flutter mini collection at the start of the year. Orly's Halley's Comet came later on in winter as part of the Cosmic FX collection. Both are dupes and there is also a Zoya dupe (charla) and an essence dupe. This is in my top 10 for 2010 but unfortunately would not make my overall top 10.


10. Color Club Poptastic - The bright neon pink creme from the Color Club Poptastic collection. Released a couple of months ago in New Zealand (and retailing for NZ$16). This collection goes great with summer fashion this year and makes your nails stand out. I also love Peppermint Twist from this collection, but have not yet swatched it)


Honorable mentions also go to the Mac Venomous Villains Collection, China Glaze Jolly Holly, OPI Mad as a Hatter, OPI Show it and Glow it!, Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe and the Milani 3D Holographic Series.

So there it is. My top 2010 polishes. It was a great year polish wise and I cant wait to see what 2011 brings - I'm sure it will be great with the OPI Katy Perry collection due out in January, China Glazes Tronica holographic collection, and the upcoming Pardon my French collection from Color Club (in New Zealand).

Lots of Love
Lisa

P.S please let me know your feelings on the pictures in which I have the fake nails on.

4 comments:

  1. Poptastic was on my list as well! What a great color it is =] So bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I adore Bad Romance and Across the Universe, but I'm way too cheap to shell that much out for one nail polish :(

    I haven't seen that BYS before - where have you seen them? I've only seen the normal cremes and glitters around :O I'd love to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam C. I get my BYS polishes from a store called Costmetics plus which we have in our malls in Wellington. Sorry Im not sure where else they are. They have the biggest range of BYS polishes (about 50ish) and they are usually about $2 cheaper than buying BYS from Glassons (where they only sell about 10 colours). Good luck hunting them down

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that! I've never seen a Cosmetics Plus up here in Auckland, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for one next time I'm down in Wellington :)

    ReplyDelete